About This Blog
Hi, I’m MJ! This is a blog about Great Literature in the Western tradition. I have read the classics since youth, pursued advanced degrees in English, taught literature in university classrooms for seventeen years, and talked about it with many other literature lovers. Through all, my enthusiasm for “the Greats” has only continued to grow.
I am here to share that enthusiasm with you, drawing on my conversations about literature with people ranging from beginning university students to expert readers. I will also share some tips for getting more out of what you read, and some of my own thoughts about some of my favorite classics. On occasion, Guest Writers may appear as well, to share their ideas about literature with you.
What Can You Find on the Site? Click “Continue Reading” for index:
What’s on the Site Menu?
- HOME: Click to reach the front page of the site. Links to all the blog posts are listed, the most recent at the top. Scroll down to see all. Click “Continue Reading” to see all of any post that looks interesting.
- ESSAYS and COMMENTARIES: Posts featuring thoughts and ideas about famous authors and works, with the purpose of helping you read and interpret them.
- LIT 101: HOW-TO’S: Series of posts to help you learn to read classic Poetry or Fiction (still in progress), step-by-step. Also includes a Reading Resources category.
- READING LISTS BY ERA: What are the classics? Here, find annotated lists of works I consider essential reading from different eras. (Work in progress.)
- WHY LITERATURE? Posts focusing on reasons to read classic literature and what qualities make it classic.
- FORUMS: A place to leave questions and comments on works not yet covered by any posts. Comments welcome; all will be held for moderation before posting.
Come on in, click around, and enjoy the site! I hope you find something here to help you read and enjoy great literature.